The Winthrop Beacon Community Center is located at the Winthrop School Campus in East Flatbush section of Brooklyn. The program hours of operation are Monday through Friday 2:30pm-10:00pm and Saturday’s 10:00am-6:00pm. The Beacon offers a comprehensive array of FREE youth and adult programs which provides educational, cultural and recreational activities for youth and adults. The programs offered at the Beacon are Homework Assistance, Reading and Mathematics Tutorial, Dance, Drama, Art and Craft, Computer, Job Readiness, GED, Youth Leadership Training, Steel Pan, Basketball, Weight Training, Aerobics, Soccer and Volleyball.
The Beacon After-School Program operates during the Fall, Winter, and Spring months, for youths between the ages of five (5) – thirteen (13) years, Mondays through Fridays, from 3:00 pm to 6:00 pm. High School Programs are held in the evening hours from 4:00pm- 8:00pm Monday through Fridays. High school participants may choose from Youth Council and Leadership, Job Readiness, Basketball and Soccer. The Adult Programs are held in the evening from 6:00 pm to 9:45 pm, Mondays through Fridays. Adults may choose from the following activities: Aerobics, Computer, GED, Soccer, Volleyball and Basketball.
How Do I Join Winthrop Beacon III Community Center?
Become a Beacon member by visiting our Registration Office in Room 127 and complete the registration form. Youths under eighteen (18) years of age will need their parents’ signature on the form. Please bring two (2) passport sized pictures so that a Beacon ID card can be made, it take approximately two (2) weeks for the preparation of an ID Card. Once you receive your ID Card it must be presented to the front desk whenever you are visiting the center.
Registration Dates: Beacon Afterschool registration begins the 4th week of August Monday through Friday 3pm-6pm and is ongoing throughout the school year Monday through Friday 3pm-7pm.
Saturday Performing Arts Program The Saturday program is divided into two cycles. Registration for the Fall begins the last Saturday in September from 11am-2pm and is ongoing throughout the Fall. Registration for the Spring cycle begins the second Saturday in January from 11am-2pm and is ongoing throughout the Spring.
Teen and Adult program registration begins the 1st week of September, Monday through Friday from 3pm-7pm and is ongoing throughout the school year from 3pm-7pm.
Summer Camp application distribution is the 2nd Saturday in February 11am -2pm. Summer Camp application return is the 3rd Saturday in March 11am-2pm. Start dates for all programs are posted annually.
Winthrop Beacon III Community Center After-School Program
The After School Program is held at the Center on Mondays through Fridays, from 3:00 pm – 6:00 pm and caters to children from Kindergarten through Eighth (8) grade. On Mondays through Thursdays, participants receive Homework Assistance, Reading and Mathematical Tutorial. On Wednesdays, children participate in a Health and Fitness class from 5-6pm. Every Thursday and Friday; students have the opportunity to partake in Arts and Crafts activities. On Fridays they participate in gym activities or watch movies in the auditorium.
Winthrop Beacon III Community Center High School and Adult Programs
- GED: Preparation for the GED examination is held on Mondays, Tuesdays and Thursdays from 5:40 pm – 9:00 pm. The Pre-test for the entrance into the program is generally held on the first Wednesday and Thursday of each month at 5:40 pm
- Computer Technology: The Computer Programs consist of the following courses – Window ‘XP, Microsoft Word and Excel, Advanced Word / Desktop Publishing, Power Point, Access and Internet classes. Classes are held from 6:00 pm – 10:00 pm, Mondays through Thursdays.
- Job Readiness: This course is designed to prepare youths for the working environment through resume writing, job interviews techniques, career searches and other skills necessary for job preparedness.
- Winthrop Beacon Parent Council: The Parent Council is a body of parents who support the Beacon youth and adult programming by assisting in developing opportunities and activities to bring more parents as participants and encourage parent volunteerism. To join the Parent Council you must have a child registered in the Beacon program fill out an application and be willing to commit to the function you want to serve as a parent council member. Meetings are usually held on Saturdays.
- Winthrop Beacon Youth Council: The Youth Council is a made up of teens interested in making a positive change in their communities. Youth Council gives teens opportunities to do community service, plan fun events and trips. To join the Youth Council, you must submit a Beacon application and Youth Council application stating your commitment to the Council.
- Athletic Programs: The Beacon provides an array of adult fitness programs that include: Aerobics, Basketball, Soccer and Volleyball.
Winthrop Beacon III Community Saturday Program
The Saturday Program has the following activities for Beacon participants ages five (5) through thirteen (13): African Dance, Basketball, Chorus/Glee Club, Cheerleading, Marching Band, Hip Hop Dance, Art and Craft, Mathematics, Reading, Soccer, Steel Pan, Stepping and Modern Dance. Programs hours are 10:00 am – 6:00 pm.
Winthrop Beacon Summer Camp Program
During the summer month of July and August a Summer Camp is held for youth between the ages of five (5) – twelve (12). There are NO adult programming available during these months. Summer Camp hours are 8:00 am – 6:00 pm, Mondays through Fridays a Morning sessions are devoted to fun academics enhancement while Afternoon sessions encourage physical activity and Fridays are devoted to outdoor activity and water sprinkler play. Participants in the Summer Camp may also participate in weekly trips to locations around the Tri State areas
For more information, contact:
Winthrop Beacon at the Winthrop Campus
905 Winthrop Street
Brooklyn, N.Y. 11203
Tel: 718-221-8880 Fax: 718-493-7163
Program Director: Ms. Y Jack
Tel: 718-221-8880 ext. 1170 Tel: 718-221-8880 ext. 1120